Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

a little bit about my obsession with FNL

I really don't know anyone who is not obsessed with Friday Night Lights. Even people who haven't watched it know that they really should/need to.

Now I was once one of these people. In fact it wasn't until last summer when I was subletting before moving to Atlanta that I watched the series.

It was really an excellent time for me to have watched it. I was in a weird, transitional stage of my life personally and professionally. Some days were really, really strange. Escaping to Dillon, Texas into the melodramatic and complicated lives of the characters was almost therapeutic to me.

So why did I love it so much? What made me connect with the show? 

Well, Matt Saracen's innocence and the connection I felt with him and other characters even through a Mac Book screen for one, as well as any inspirational speech, comment, really even a look from Coach Taylor. And of course Tim Riggins' looks didn't hurt. I found myself wanting to move to Texas not Atlanta and raise little boys who would play football (JK, that's actually a little scary to think about). Even today when I hear any of the soundtrack from Explosions in the Sky I get chills.

I could write you a list of forty reasons why I love FNL and why you should too. But instead I'll share my top moment in the entire series.

When Landry was helping Tyra write her college application essay while driving she tells him about the moment she stopped being so angry and bitter at the world: when Jason Street got paralyzed. When he got paralyzed she realized that bad things happen to good people. Not just her.

Let that sink in. Bad things happen to good people. Bad, sad, unfair things happen in life to us all. Not just to Tyra's character, not just to me, not just to you.

This concept, so obvious, so clear, so direct, really helps keep things in perspective when we can keep it in mind. Key piece there being when we can keep it in mind since I know well and good that this is painfully difficult to do at times.

Yes FNL is a television drama. I'm not denying this. But aren't many of the intense times of our lives just as dramatic? Perhaps the simply feel just as dramatic when we're in the middle of of them. That's okay. But when we are all able to (myself included) to step back and just accept that we're not each simply getting the worst lot in life and that things are just unfair sometimes, we can let go of such much bitterness, regret, resentment, hate even; and things really do get easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment