Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

What to do on your last day: been there, done that


Today's Been There, Done That will focus on something relevant to all of us at some point in our careers: What to do on your last day at a company.

First, a brief aside: Yes, my intention is to post these on Thursdays. Yes, it's Friday. This week has escaped me a bit.

I had planned much of my last day at my former job. And while there was a lot that I was prepared for, there was a lot that I wasn't prepared for. With that, here are a few things to consider on your last day:

The farewell email
We've all received them: The obligatory email alerting some, reminding others, that this is your last day. The good ones are relatively short, informative, and have a bit of humor. Your personal situation will really dictate what is best to include but generally speaking I recommend including a quick bit about your gratitude for your time at your soon-to-be former company, a little bit about where you're going (why is usually not unnecessary), and whatever methods of communication you want to share. Again, up to you what exactly you include and who receives yours but definitely write one.

Plan things out
I mean this in the general sense. You have 8 hours (likely less) your last, official day. Plan and use this time wisely. For example, send your farewell email out a few hours before you actually depart so you have time to socialize and respond to replies (more on this below). Also your farewell lunch doesn't have to be your last day, in fact you might want to do it on a different day so it can be leisurely.

Send some personal notes to people of note
Did Dan really have an impact on you your first few months or year at your company? Was Julie instrumental in helping connect you with friends in a new city? Send these people a personal quick note. Hand-written cards are really a nice touch but sometimes an email has to do, this is fine.

Be prepared for some chit-chat
Maybe this is a no brainier but I did not expect so many people (really anyone at all) to reply to my farewell email. I mentioned the importance of timing earlier, well I didn't leave my office on my last day until after 5pm. No, I'm not complaining; yes, this was my choice/my own fault. I could have planned this out better.

Another thing this has taught me: I now reply to the goodbye emails of others. Again, this might be obvious but like all of us, I have been on the receiving end of countless of these emails that I wanted to respond to, but never did. Never again.

Bring your makeup bag + deodorant (or whatever)
Being totally serious here. I didn't do this and I really regret it. The afternoon of my last day at my former company got away from me and I stuck around the office much longer than anticipated on a hot July day. It's always good to put your best foot forward and if I'm being honest I would have liked my former coworkers to have had a last memory of me with brushed, non-flat hair, and not totally worn-off make-up.

This might not be totally relevant for you guys but take it as you will.

Be gracious
You're leaving on your own accord hopefully to greener pastures. You're also likely dumping work onto someone else. Be aware of the fact that while you're getting out and moving on, others are not.

In the same breath, you're about to leave... Relax & enjoy
Soak up these last moments of this portion of your career. Be sure to make your usual coffee run with your coworker, participate in the office chit-chat one last time. Even if it hasn't been the best role of experience of your life it's molded and impacted you and you're never going to have this same ever again.

_________________________________

What are your tips or strategies to leave with a bang or at least on a good note?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment