Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

little things make a difference

Thursday morning I was running a bit late to work so by the time I neared the entrance to my parking deck there was a gentleman mopping the hallway of my apartment building. On the other side of the entrance out of his view was another tenant coming back inside from walking her dog and another locking up her front door.

The man offered a kind, "Good morning" to me to which I gave a cheery, "Good morning!" back.

Both of the woman on the other side of the hallway thought I was talking to them. Both replied, "Good morning" to me and then with a grin to each other.

It was a short and sweet encounter that made me walk to my car with a smile on my face. A short and sweet encounter, yes, but it was actually amazing to witness the immediate, small, but sizable impact this man's morning greeting had. 

Yesterday in the Atlanta airport I bought a water before heading to my gate for my trip out to Arizona. True to form I brought the generic water to the cashier who asked me if I preferred the generic to Fiji, the alternative. I laughed and told her I was simply driven by price (except when smart water is an option, I do splurge on that when I travel since flying is so dehydrating!) She then told me that the liter if Fiji was the same price as the liter of generic I had. She added that Fiji had a better pH balance so would have similar benefits to my preferred smart water; no idea if this is true or not but naturally I exchanged what I had for the same price, brand name water. 

It was early and the store was empty so we chatted for a bit. Her positive energy radiated off her. It was contagious and propelled me out of the fogI was still in following my 5:45 wake up call. 

Just like the morning before, her simple act of sincere kindness, sharing some small, secret knowledge really impacted my mood and morning for the better.

I try to keep moments like this in mind. Not necessarily to save them up for a proverbial rainy day but so that I remember that my kindness, my positive energy, my spirit and spunk can  likey do the same for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment