Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

too much change

9 months after I started my first job out of college my manager retired. She was 36.

10 days after I relocated for my second job out of college (at the same company) the business I moved for dissolved and my role shifted to accommodate business needs.

3 days before I gave my 2 weeks notice to my third -- and final -- team at my first company a major reorg announcement was made in which 18 people were let go, 3 of who were on my immediate team.

2 weeks and 2 days after I started at my second company (fourth role) after college, which required relocating to Atlanta, the person who had brought me over to the company was let go. The same day another person gave his notice and 2 others were asked to leave. About 3 weeks later 3 more people were let go. 

Change happens constantly but this was getting ridiculous. 

That last reorg happened not last Friday but the one before. All of my other experiences with what I’ll call hyper-change in my professional life had positive results, though each success of course required a considerable amount of hard work, patience, and grit on my part.

When asked years ago how I was holding up during one of the times mentioned above by an executive I told him, "I'm doing my best. I'm staying positive!" He agreed, "That's all you can do." And it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment