Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

moving is making me fat

I’ve been bad about posting this past week. The only excuse I have is that I’ve just been super busy. Everyone is of course, but it really is incredible how much time it can take to figure out a new schedule and routine.

This is a challenge for many reasons, perhaps I will detail these another time, but there is one main issue I am currently working through: moving is making me fat.

Not really. But really. (Total girl thing to say, I know)

I have definitely added a pound or two (okay three or four) since moving. Luckily I had probably dropped a pound or two (or three or four) before I moved. 

How/why is a mix of a couple of things:

- Workout Routine: When I work out, where, how long, etc.. This is all new stuff I have to figure out. It’s all pretty basic I know but I had a pretty incredible gym setup via my old company in DC that I’m just spoiled from. We had an onsite gym where for $15 a month I had access to the gym, unlimited classes, free personal training sessions twice a week, on top of all this I could get workouts in during the workday. So far in ATL I haven’t signed up for a gym membership but I’ve been going to the gym in my apartment regularly and have some fitness classes via groupon that are burning a whole in my pocket.

- Overall Schedule: I’ve been so busy at work (bad excuse, we all are) and it’s been challenging to find time for everything. Again, this is the problem of the masses but on top of the normal grind I have had miscellaneous things like spending hours on the phone regarding my COBRA plan (actually COBRA’s been pretty easy, but I have been on a ton of customer service calls after work until 9pm). I want to be mindful of not overextending myself and not becoming the embodiment of one of the all-time best Saved By The Bell scenes when Jessie goes crazy on caffeine pills. I won’t even post the gif. For two reasons, first everyone knows it, second, I still haven’t figured out how to upload gifs to my blog.

- Time in Apartment: Also since this is the first time I’ve lived on my own I’ve been really eager to get back to my apartment and just do nothing. Not having roommates has been so great (though I have had great roommates in the past, love you all!) that it’s almost as if I’ve wanted to just revel in the alone time which has caused me to rush through a workout, or plant myself on my couch right after getting home exhausted from work with endless snacks.

- Eating in the Apartment: To that end, since I don’t have roommates I don’t have a silent judgment of another girl as I pace the kitchen looking for a[nother] snack. Not that my roommates ever cared what I ate but I think unfortunately it’s common for girl roommates to size up what each other eat.

- Food in General: This may seem silly but I’m still getting the hang of my entire new food routine, if you will. This includes figuring out what my go-to grocery stores are and what products I can and can’t get there. Also what my normal lunch is. I had a really awesome cafeteria set up in DC, to incentive associates to make healthy choices (a tax right off likely) healthy options were cheaper. I literally ate a salad so big I routinely couldn’t finish it every day. Now I have to shop and prepare my own salads and veggies in general. This is a pint size problem but just another element of change that I hadn’t considered.

- Booze/Dining Out: Perhaps the most obvious piece of this is since I am actively trying to meet people and make friends it’s hard to get away from boozing a few more nights a week than normal (even just a drink or two adds up..) As one of my friends in DC put it, “No one wants to be the girl who orders a soda water at happy hour."

The good news (well, I’m choosing to see it as motivating and therefore good) is that I am a bridesmaid in a close friend’s wedding in a few weeks and I think she’d appreciate it if i fit into my bridesmaid dress. Not that I’m at risk of not fitting into it but I also want to look good. I am choosing to make this the “reason” why I am reverting back to my healthy eating. Not that I need a reason but sometimes it feels easier, or feels like your decision is accepted more easily, if you have something motivating you.

Those are my gripes. I am hoping, and planning on, taking some swift action on this situation. Speaking of which I should actually get myself to the gym..

No comments:

Post a Comment