Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

majorily mondazed

Yesterday I was in a total Mondaze. I know, that's so original. But it was the Monday after the Super Bowl, the start to a full work week following one that was totally jarred by the ice storm down here in Atlanta last week, so needless to say it was difficult to get back into the swing of it; I think Mondazed is the perfect way to sum it up.

Days like this I literally sometimes have to talk myself through the day. Sometimes I even wonder if it'd be better for me to stay home and work remotely, since my energy is probably so low and my vibe perhaps even a bit negative.

But not everyone has that option, also it's not smart to always be working remotely. I like to save that flexibility for times I really need it (e.g., around the holidays, when I'm under the weather, when I have a doctor's appointment, etc) not just when I'm not feeling like it.

I've always assumed, really known, that everyone has these same feelings at times. My manager, my peers, my president must all feel like this.

Well, yesterday I had a slight validation of this. I was also reminded just how important it is to exude positive energy, even if -- maybe even more -- you're really not feeling like it.

A woman who works in my office, who's very friendly but who I don't work with, started telling me during some idle chatter in our break room/kitchen that she was just so tired. She told me that she was so over the day already (it was barely 10 am). She added that she had stayed up really late (and maybe had a beer or two?) the night before during the Super Bowl. In fact she told me that she had to give herself a little pep talk as she walked to the building from her car.

It was funny, I was having eerily similar feelings and had given myself a pep talk as well. Though I would have never dreamed of telling someone at my office this. Or would I? Is it better to keep this in or admit your feelings to a coworker?

I like to be a little more concealed but maybe I'll try to be as open as her another time since one thing I definitely owe her is the confirmation that yes, other people, many others I am sure, commiserate with my Mondaze feeling (and probably Tuesdaze, Wednesdaze, Thursdaze, and Fridaze). Maybe this is one of those things in life once you tell someone you help them know they're not alone, and you feel less alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment