Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

3 easy ways to speed up your ramp up time at a new company

A few new people started at my company over the past month. I think they've all been very successful in acclimating to our office environment in different but similar ways. I've noticed a few things that they've each done that I think have really helped speed up their ramp up time; I think these things plus a few others are really key to starting to build a strong reputation for yourself in an office quickly:

1.       Kindness: I remember during the first week one of the new hires at my company someone commented on how this woman was just plain old nice. She had taken the time to learn as many peoples' names as possible and when she would greet them she made it a point to use their name. The clearly made an impression since my colleagues were commenting on it. It's always better to be nice when you can but especially when you're meeting new people. On top of that, especially in a setting that has the potential for stress; in other words: start laying the foundation of kindness now so later on when you're too busy you have some cushion to fall on. Though I highly doubt this woman will simply stop being nice because she's busy, it seems in her being. 
 
 
2.       Sincere interest: Interest in your business, the industry in general, competitors, and the like are essential for your growth yes, but early on interest in the lives of your colleagues is paramount. A woman I've recently started working with has made it a point to get to know me on a personal level. Has part of it included overhearing some of my dating anecdotes and then sharing some of her own with me after? Yes. But I don't mind. I actually really appreciate when coworkers want to get to know each other on a personal level. You can always tone it down once you get into your own groove in a new setting but like my other new coworker, I think this woman is simply sincerely interested.  

3.       Going the extra mile: This can come to life in different ways, but what I mean in general is being a team player but going above and beyond. Why is this especially important early on? Because you have more time. I've overheard a colleague on the phone really going past what I knew he needed to do to complete his job. It's clearly paying off because I overheard one of his teammates tell him recently that he (the new guy) was requested by name by a customer. You go new guy!! (I know his name, I'm just not going to include it here)

There are other things too: be positive, a team player, and really ready to lend a hand never hurts and definitely helps grease the wheels when you are just starting somewhere. Of course you need to be good at your job and perform well, but again, having qualities that others enjoy being around never hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment