Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Wedding Weekend Getaway

This past weekend I was in the wedding of one of my closest friends. Quick hits: the ceremony was beautiful, the party was epic, the bride was beyond gorgeous, and I could not be more over the moon for the newlyweds.

I saw a ton of friends from college, DC, and Richmond. I also met a lot of the family of the bride and groom. As I assumed there would be, there were a lot of questions about my move and how things were going for me. Almost across the board the reactions of the people I talked with were positive and the conversations were filled with admiration.  People told me they were impressed by my boldness. Some would speculate whether or not they would be able to up and move to a new city without knowing anyone. I felt proud of taking ownership over my life and the conversations were fun.

Though one comment was interesting. One guy asked me if I was really enjoying Atlanta or if I was just saying that I was.

I was initially taken aback by the question and I was quick to confirm that yes, I in fact was happy and wasn’t simply claiming to be. It wasn't really until a bit after the conversation ended when it really sunk it and I realized what a great question it was. And a totally fair one at that. Additionally it was a question I hadn't actually asked myself yet.

The guy who asked me this made a move similar to mine a couple years ago. As every experience is different, his was different from mine; I don't know all the details but I know he didn't love the city he moved to and moved from there not too long ago. With this in mind I also think his question was coming from a good, experienced place. 

I haven’t decided my answer just yet. I really do think I am sincerely happy so I think my answer was truthful. But it's something I want to mull over. I don't plan on being hyperaware of it, that's silly. Also, I am a big believer in positive thinking and creating the energy you want around you, so thinking positively about my move might be self-fulfilling in a way.  

But I really do want to consider this question as time goes by. I want to be really present with myself so that I can continue to assess my feelings. Luckily for me I think I already have a way of doing this, and actually tracking my feelings: this blog.

I'll continue to be open about my thoughts and feelings. I'll try to push myself to share even more of my personal and professional life. And we'll see how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment