Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

third move in five months complete!

Typing out the title of this post made me cringe. Yes, I just moved apartments for the third time since the end of May. 

This was by far the easiest move I think I’ve ever made (aside from that time my best friend and her grandfather literally moved my things for me one summer in college while I was living in Spain -- I definitely did not thank her enough for that!! -- THANK YOU MVP!!) but even when it’s relatively easy, moving is the worst. 

Rather than whining and focusing on painful moving is, I’ll highlight why this was the [second] easiest move ever for me. 

1. Movers
This is obvious but movers really make everything so easy because they literally do it all for you. Perhaps you help a little like I did (meaning: carry some light items the first round or two) but really your job is to supervise. 

On top of not having to carry my actual stuff the best part of using movers this time was that I got to spend the majority of the move time unpacking. This was incredibly helpful since by the time the movers had left I wasn’t simply left alone with bags and boxes of stuff everywhere but instead I had made progress unpacking. 

I know movers can be pricey but there were so many coupon deals here in Atlanta, and I bet elsewhere, that it probably would have been a similar price to pay off friends with pizza and beer to help (and I’d have had to help move then too!)

2. I lived in literally the exact same unit
This was helpful since I knew exactly where I wanted to put everything from my bureaus to the clothes in my closet to pictures on the wall. Of course not everyone is as lucky as me (or perhaps more accurately, as crazy as me) to move from one unit to another with the exact same layout in the same building, but doing some mental prep work on in advance has bound to help everyone tenfold.

3. I had just moved, twice
This was really a wildcard. I wasn’t sure if I was just going to be so fed up with moving so many times that this third time would just be too much, or if I had  basically become a professional mover and this would be a breeze. Lucky it was more of the latter. 

I had a routine, a rhythm, and I knew how long most things took to do. I was realistic and I knew that even with three moves in five months (okay, I have to stop reminding myself of that stat) this would still suck a little and I was realistic with myself in terms of how long it would take. 

4. Moving within the same building
This was super helpful since I saved money and time on not needing a truck. I was also able to avoid packing everything in boxes (packing everything carefully in boxes for my long distance move was surprisingly the worst!) but instead I could use bags and had some awkward items just carried on their own. 

Perhaps the best perk was not having to take off all my clothes from their hangers, pack them, only to unpack, and rehang them. Unless I’m hanging something brand new up in my closet for the first time, I hate the physical act of hanging clothing up. 

A few years/moves ago a friend of mine gave me the tip to cut a hole at the bottom of a garbage bag and then place the bag around a group of clothes while on hangers. It keeps clothes clean, together, and most importantly still on the hangers once you get to your new place. 


Clothing in trash bags

Not glamorous but very practical packing method

I’m almost completely settled. I have a few more bags to unpack; they’re full of things that I should probably just throw out since some of them have been untouched since I got to Georgia. I also have some picture hanging to do. As I get back to unpacking and the bliss of being in an apartment more than a few months I will leave you with some other pictures to document this great moment in my life… Enjoy!

Old unit… New unit looks almost exactly the same
New neighbors (they have children, and yup a pup)

No comments:

Post a Comment