Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

ever want to just escape a project?

I had a moment the other day when I literally just wanted to run away from a project.

I was so overwhelmed that I couldn’t even figure out how to articulate what I was struggling with to my manager let alone to my executive sponsor. On top of this I simply couldn’t figure out what would be my most immediate next step.

Typically my go-to is to get away from my desk, even if just for a moment. I have been known to leave the office at lunch to walk around; walk outside, through nearby stores, malls, whatever. I have also been known to be a behind-closed-doors-in-the-office-crier when things get really bad (yup, I’ll admit it). But this time I was just so overwhelmed and discouraged that I couldn’t even muster up the energy to walk to the bathroom or get a cup of water. Additionally the open floor-plan of my office just made me hyperaware of myself and everyone around me so staying put at my desk actually made me feel less exposed.

Since this was an excruciatingly immobilizing and overwhelming feeling for me I thought that it might be for others as well. With that, I thought I’d share what I did to get out of this state. Here it goes:

  • I reread all of the emails/things that were making me feel swirly/off/uncomfortable/whatever you want to call it. Doing that I noticed that there was one thing that I completely misread (luckily I hadn’t yet replied/reacted).
  • I figured out what I personally needed, what I wasn’t getting, and what I thought I should do. I realized that going to whine to my executive sponsor at this point (because it would have been a whine not a conversation) was really more of a way to lick my own wounds, save a little face, and possibly point some blame. I needed to actually take ownership and action. (side note: I actually take a huge issue with pointing blame and never do it but I could sense myself getting to such a low point that it might have crept out)
  • I read the funny article my best friend posted on my Facebook timeline (it was like she knew that at that very second I needed a complete mental break).
  • I actually went to the bathroom and got a cup of water (in that order).
  • I replied to some emails; sucked up my pride and resisted the urge to include the caveats/explanations that I so desperately wanted to mention since they were basically making excuses about why things were going the way they were.
  • Last, I started to put together the skeleton for this post. I didn’t write it all at once but rather I came back to the draft as I often do. Putting these frustrations down really helped me gather my thoughts and then clear my head.

This moment of uneasiness followed by really thinking hard has made me realize that as I progress in my career I do need to spend a bit more time thinking through my approach in general. While I already prepare for conversations and meetings, perhaps I need to prep a bit more. 

I remember talking with my manager a few days after this and being able to better recap what happened and what I needed from myself, from her, from others. I still could have probably been a bit more buttoned up but she has my back and knows I am still evolving as a working professional.

This sort of stuff happens to the best of us and like many things in life how you react and how (or if, for some) you can get through turmoil is what really matters. 

I wonder what other people do in the moment when they feel just monumentally overwhelmed. Reader base of 4: what do you do??

No comments:

Post a Comment