Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

the obligatory New Year’s Day post

Since today is New Years Day I think a post is also obligatory. I also have decided that today will be the day I woman up and share my blog to all my closest and not-so-closest friends on the good ole FB so I figure I should have something new and juicy for reading.

Like many I have spent much of the day reflecting on the past year and thinking about the year -- actually since I dream big, years -- ahead. 

Yesterday I wrote about some ways to nail New Years Eve and ring in 2014 in [your own] style. It included a mention of being authentic to yourself, not drinking and driving, and my plan to beat a piñata with "2013" written on it. You can read the whole thing here.

I also mentioned my intention to share later on some of the ways I'd like to make progress this year but didn't really get into any of them. Well, it's 2014 and carpe diem, I’m going to share my first one.

Número uno area/topic/thing I'd like to make progress on in 2014: Accepting things and people as they are.

This is a common one and also one I may come back to in the future because it has so many parts to it and so many applications. But I wanted to write about it today after something I noticed while sitting in the airport waiting to fly back to Atlanta. 

Early this afternoon while enjoying my travel snack of choice (Haribo Gold Bears) at my gate, I watched as literally every flight in the culdesac of Terminal C at Ronald Regan National Airport (yes C is the "other" terminal in DCA) was delayed. It was like the look of disappointment and annoyance was contagious and working its way around the terminal. 

Then something surprising happened. No one, myself included, really got up in arms. No one actually seemed all that upset. Granted my flight was only delayed about an hour and I don't know how the other delays panned out, but I was surprised, impressed really, by how even-keeled all the travelers were.

Maybe everyone was still in good spirits from the holidays, or perhaps more likely everyone was too exhausted from New Years Eve, or even perhaps most likely everyone was too hungover to care. But this ability to accept that this was just the reality of all of our days was impressive. If we all could channel this calm demeanor, these polite reactions, this general approach to other setbacks in our lives I think we'd all be a lot better off.

It's not that I think we should always accept bad things or say "it is what it is." I actually think that saying is a bit of a cop out. I simply think that identifying and accepting what we cannot control, reacting rationally, and moving on is a powerful thing to be able to do.

Yes I know that this was a minor delay and I understand that many setbacks in life are much more significant: not getting the job, not getting the promotion, grieving a death, not getting the guy or the girl. But to push ourselves to not get bogged down with pain, humiliation, grief, sadness, or regret but instead accept things the way they are with grace and integrity is a very admirable and achievable skill. 

Like my good friends "They" always say, you can't always control what happens in life but you can control your reaction. Keeping this in mind will help us all this year even if this  isn't something you're specifically hoping to achieve.

Oh and finally, as promised, here's a picture of yours truly from last night. I've chosen one with my favorite party treat, a piñata.

Best idea I might have had all year!

No comments:

Post a Comment