Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

the importance of rest

This past fall I feel like I've been going non-stop. This holiday season, while crazy busy, has been the first time I've really had some time off (from work that is). I actually didn't take any time off but I worked remotely and many of my days were very, very light and of course I had Christmas and New Years Day off. 

I came back to my office, after an exhausting New Years Day spent traveling, and I experienced something amazing. I think I may have been one of the only people in the Atlanta metro area, or maybe all of the United States, or at the very least out of all my Snap Chat friends, who was happy to be back in the office. 

Initially I thought I was happy to be back in a routine. But around 3:30 I realized, it was really more that for the first time in a while, despite my exhaustion from my travels I felt rested, I was re-energized, I was ready to start 2014 and move the needle (sorry, I usually hate business idioms) for my company. The time away from my desk was earned and needed, and helped motivate me to get back into the grind.

Companies know the value of giving time off. There's a reason beyond legality that PTO exists. We as humans need it to function at our best.

Last night, and all day today, and all day tomorrow I plan to do nothing. I figure I'll catch up on the physical rest I missed out on and my body's been craving to help reinvigorate me professionally and personally to take on this month and year!

No comments:

Post a Comment