Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The case for investing in cute clothes for work

How many times have we all needed to justify an expensive clothing purchase for work? Maybe a nice sweater, or a button-up, or a pair of heels (or two of the same pair: one for work and one for going out)? Whether you have had to justify this to yourself, a partner, or a parent (though I'm a big fan of self-sufficiency...) keep reading to learn why I support moving forward with such purchases.

When a person (okay, maybe only girls, I'll do some research on fellas and get back to you) wears an outfit she's super happy with, maybe she feels sexy, or smart, or skinny, or just all around confident, she feels better about herself; her actions and demeanor reflect this. Women’s lib-ers, don’t get hateful, I’m one of the biggest feminists you’ll ever meet, this is just science. Okay, it’s not science but I can tell you that personally, my overall disposition is impacted by wearing a great outfit and I know almost all of my friends are impacted the same way.

This was also true for me in college though slightly different since I'd rock Norts and a frat T like any sorority girl most days but when I had an exam I needed to be put together. If you maintained the “didn’t try” vibe all the time(but we all know you spent some time trying to achieve that...) consider how you pulled yourself together during a presentation.

Or beyond college think about how you’ve dressed when meeting the parents of a significant other. Or when you know you're going to a happy hour after work and you wear a favorite outfit and/or bring your makeup bag to touch up before heading into the bar. I do both of these things. In fact, since it’s a rare occasion that I turn down an impromptu happy hour, I find myself slightly annoyed if I’m wearing something boring or don’t have my makeup bag.

I think we’d all agree that this is pretty Girl 101 stuff. But it’s top of mind for me after thinking about this from a different perspective recently. The other day I overslept aggressively. Getting ready in a hurry I put on what is quite possibly the weirdest outfit I’ve worn since elementary school (keep in mind that I wore A LOT of tie dye back then, and not all the cool tie dye that I wear nowadays…)

I tried to block this outfit out of my mind but I think I had on a tan shrug from wet seal (literally from high school, maybe even middle school) over a black cami (thick straps thankfully -- my only saving grace), black slacks, gold-ish flats (nope, didn’t even try to save this outfit with heels), and this random necklace an ex-boyfriend brought me back from Israel (totally over him, it’s just a cool necklace that I’ve never gotten rid of).

It could have been worse, yes, but I have been showing up MUCH better ever since I started actually using Pinterest and sometimes looking at it in the morning when I get dressed (has everyone else already been doing this?!)

Anyway, then I had a bad day. Not a get fired, or a make an ass out if yourself in the office, or even a sob your eyes out on the drive home behind yor sunglasses (though, this reminds me that I was wearing my eyeglasses, which really needed to be adjusted so were a tad crooked on my face). Just a bad day.

Of course I probably would have had the same day if I had worn something different but there was a moment after stripping out of this disgusting outfit the second I got home when I wondered if I was in something a tad cuter, something I was happy and confident in, if the bad parts of the day would have rolled off me. Again, I realize that the chances that I would have had a very similar day are high but maybe my outfit would have made me more confident or maybe I would have at least been distracted and the day wouldn't have affected me so much.

I think it’s a fair and real to think that the better you look the better you feel, and when you feel good you are able to perform better.

Note: I am not advocating irresponsible spending; those who know me know how, err, frugal, I am. I am simply advocating how fashion choices can improve your mood, self-confidence, and in turn (I think) productivity. If you can live your best life in a pair of black slacks and a white button up (I call this the middle school ensemble band look...) then more power to ya, but I sometimes I need a little boost and I think that’s okay.

But hey, if a bad day comes regardless of your outfit, just head on home, put on some sweats, pop open a bottle of red vino and I promise, your day will get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment