Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

give yourself time

I've been in Atlanta for just over a week now and I've been settling in nicely. I've gotten together with friends and have knocked off a lot on my apartment to-do list. 

Hands down the best decision I've made so far (aside from making an appointment as an "out of state" transfer to cut the line to get my Georgia license..) has been opting to start my new job a week after moving.


I'm lucky that I had the flexibility to give myself this extra bit of time since I know that not everyone has this option, but for anyone who does I highly recommend it.


I have a friend who relocated to Colorado around the same time as when I moved to Georgia. She drove across the country and across two time zones then had to start the following Monday. Her transition is going smoothly though she's been pretty overwhelmed. I also know someone who moved to Minnesota last summer who started work the Monday after his arrival to town late Saturday night. He lived in a hotel for a few days so even the simplest tasks of stocking a kitchen or putting together a coffee table had to be done late at night or took up a lot of his time on the weekend.


Just being able to go back and forth to Bed Bath & Beyond and Target to get curtains or a new ottoman has been so helpful and has made my first week in Georgia surprisingly very stress-free. Whenever possible giving yourself this extra time is something I highly recommend factoring in..

No comments:

Post a Comment