Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

My first taste of solo international travel

I have a fair amount of solo travel, both domestic and international, planned for the rest of the year. And while I have flown, driven, trained -- you name it -- alone quite a bit I really haven't done much travel when I've been alone for the whole or even a good chunk of the main trip.


This past week I got my first taste at some limited solo international travel. I was in Punta Cana for my cousin's wedding Wednesday through Sunday. And while I spent a majority of time with family and friends, I spent a fair amount by myself as well. There were a few specific things I did alone that really got me thinking about my upcoming plans.  


Overall it made me even more excited for my other upcoming journeys but at the same time gave me a little bit of trepidation. What do I mean? Where here are some parts of my recent trip that really stood out.
 
The Arrival
There's something uniquely depressing about arriving in the airport of a resort city alone; most of the other people are either traveling in couples on a romantic getaway or in large friend groups or as families. It's one of those times when you're acutely aware that you're alone, even if you're going to literally be with tens of close family members within a matter of hours like I was.

Don't believe me? Think about that moment when you walk off a plane and feel the hot, beach air hit your face (or maybe it's cool, mountain air); you can't help but smile as you envision yourself basking in your vacation. But then you meet the very next moment when you normally would say to your travel companion(s), "I'm SO excited!!" That's when you realize it's just you.


Being off the grid
If you're traveling internationally and are being mindful of not incurring hundreds of dollars in data and messaging fees you probably use your phone a lot less. I had planned for this and wasn't all that worried about it. Though as I waited in line for immigration and watched everyone else chattering excitedly I found myself paralyzed. That is, my natural instinct to grab my phone and text a friend or open some social media or simply reload my email once more was unavailable to me.


At first it was striking how alone I felt without the security blanket of being in the middle of multiple text conversations with friends for company. Though this quickly became wonderfully freeing.


Staying at a hotel alone
The last thing that really stuck with me were the puzzled looks I repeatedly received when I told the hotel staff that it was "just me" when asked about the number of guests in my room. While this really only happened at check-in and check-out I did return to my hotel room each day and night alone.


The peace and quiet was often welcomed but there were some moments when I wished I was spending this downtime with a travel companion.


So what does all this mean? Should you be scared off from solo travel? No. It's certainly not for everyone but neither are skinny jeans or yoga (two things I personally enjoy very much).


Any kind of travel has wonderful moments but also some annoying and less than ideal ones; it's sort of part of it. Solo travel is no different. But at the end of the day every experience offers something to learn and cool challenges to overcome. So pack up your bags and pull up your big girl or boy pants and break out alone, or don't and just read about my travels here.


No comments:

Post a Comment