Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

off I go!

Tomorrow I am hopping on MARTA, heading to the airport, and flying over to Europe. This trip is one part vacation, one part adventure, one part avoidance of the Atlanta airport over Thanksgiving, and one part personal challenge.

I say all of these things because I will be spending some of my time in the UK with one of my very best friends who is studying overseas right now then hopping a flight to Rome on Monday to pop around the city (day trip to Pompeii included) by myself. I have shared some thoughts on solo travel and solo international travel here but this is the first time I have done it for an extended period of time and abroad. 

While I know that loads of people -- women of course included -- have ventured off on their own many times before me, this is something new for me so something I am really looking forward to, but with slight reservation. 

No reservation because I’m scared or even anxious, my anticipation is truly all excitement based. I just have no idea what it’s going to be like. I have no idea what it’s going to be like staying by myself in a hotel for 5 days and 4 nights. I have no idea what it’s going to be like to have no one to meet up with or really talk with for those 5 days and 4 nights. I have no idea what it’s going to be like to decide entirely what my plans are, in a foreign city. And I certainly have no idea how it’s going to be communicating with my Italian counterparts, since, well, I don’t speak a lick of Italian. 

It might be terrible. But I might love it. And even if I don’t love it I am excited for the experience and the adventure and to learn whatever it is I learn about myself during this trip.

Stay tuned-- pictures to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment